Excessive water supply is anyway harmful for a lawn’s growth. Water accumulated in the different parts of the lawn area raises drainage problems, which must be solved by following a good drainage system. Lawn drainage problems are primarily seen during the rainy season, and are a major concern for the lawn’s health. It is also highly dangerous for various plants functions like photosynthesis, metabolism, etc. Moreover, poor drainage also reduces the disease and pest resistance power of the lawn plants.
What Causes Poor Drainage?
The drainage problem in lawn is the result of many factors. This primarily includes the soil type and soil compaction. A soil type with high clay content and low organic matter highly boosts drainage problems in the lawn. Similarly, a highly compacted soil hardly gives any space for the air and water movement, and thus leads to hazardous drainage problems.
Solving the problem
The situation of lawn drainage adversely affects the grass roots and creates unhealthy environment for the grass’s growth. In order to tackle such situations, a well maintained drainage system is required. The drainage problems of a lawn can be solved by taking into account the following tips and advices-
· Aeration- One of the most recommended tricks is to aerate the lawn. You can use a punch core aerator for this process. Aerating aims at eliminating cores of soil and adds air pockets, thus helping in improving the drainage condition.
· Applying hardpan subsoil- Introducing hardpan subsoil like hardpan and hard clays also helps in solving the drainage problem. A few inches of hardpan subsoil layer prevents the passage of water to go through the ground.
· Adding compost- In order to hold water and improve drainage, it is advisable to top dress the soil by adding compost/sand blend or compost/top soil. This tips works successfully for heavy clay content soil as well as sandy soil. The main aim is to apply organic matter in the lawn that increases its retaining power.
· Making borders- If the lawn drainage problem exists in a small area of the lawn, then it is advisable to dig and make borders along with planting small plants that would automatically get the required water for growth.
· Top dressing- There is great chance of water being transferred from higher properties into your lawn. To solve such situation, it is recommended to raise the lawn to the same level by top dressing. Moreover, it is advised to lay down a drainage system between two properties.
· Drain Tile- A permanent drainage system can be availed by opting for a French drain, or more commonly known as “drain tile”. A perimeter drainage system is an important component of household drainage and vital to keeping water away from the foundation. It is also important for drainage rain water off the lawn. without a proper perimeter drain tile system you will get water pooling in the yard and probably foundation damage to your home. If your perimeter drains are clogged, or collapsed then you’ll need a drain tile installation Vancouver professional to replace the sewer pipes.
· Adding scenic beauty- In case, you have no drainage option left; you can turn the messy situation into a beautiful landscaping feature. You can dig a small pond and get the excess water accumulated in it. Moreover, make the pond look scenic by adding natural features like aquatic life, rocks, fountain, etc.
You can easily achieve a well maintained drainage free lawn by following the above tips. Also, make sure to use the right type of soil that have low clay content and provide enough space for air and water movement.